JAMES KEARNS

Wednesday, August 10, 2011
 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEilAbBzqFRPK1PtfHmbmvoxNXw6yQeIDRpXUw4NXAjCYGw5CNrsRxKY7d-O0IhkXx7bR8J0QZx2IV0WfnaW2EE5AaoVgjoFGwPsZABnQtARassCG-Ex3rHpUTlNbBAqCYj5q0Rp6uALd0Q/s1600/IMG_1063_sml-1.JPG
 After meeting up for a bite to eat (here) and a stroll with this lovely lady and her beautiful daughter (more of that next week) I headed to Bourke St Bakery to stock up on some bread before the trip home .....
 Walking past Blank Space Gallery on Crown St I noticed some very good looking works and went in for a peek .....
It was the first solo exhibition of the very talented Australian artist James Kearns
and ..... 
 click image for a better look
I fell in love with this work entitled "Mother" of, if you haven't already guessed, a whale ..... 
 it is so beautiful, the colours, the textures, the subject
matter sooooo ...... I bought it !!!
Well I left a deposit (remember I was only going to buy bread) .... but I think when you see something you love (which for me isn't all that often) you just have grab it, it wasn't really in the budget but I've kicked myself before for not buying works I have loved, and later seeing the artist become so big and their prices soar (example Ben Quilty darn !!!) .... who James (or "Kearnsy" as he is known) actually reminds me a lot of .....
  and it's always so special to buy directly from an artist, who I must say was a very lovely and humble guy ....
 
 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjNUhrrnSSvQEIRKK5el1QkedjCLOtqH9ce5uGbiLZN8y_wlFbea_y3IpmR4UdLgPQmUAL_7ZAelIUNaXMfkAwVdNS2mSO_nhvojLjlaufwgvMWp0t2ogOMXO-r-lSAIAgjp6XTHg2bmJo/s1600/no_show1.jpg
 I came home and had a good look at some more of his works .....
love this above painting entitled "No Show" which sadly is sold and also this one "Street Dog" (sold too)

 https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhq4u51BjSBVdjDQhztCCzZ0XArJMjDzXMlC65FMLdUF3RjWQKqxFIzqiLLshd2KEEMAypgPn_C1C1A0CGFFD-K6mDnYi1sqmBsrYVaJG_yquG8agX94VKac7AJQIkhTYr-RvtB-La99f4/s1600/baby.jpg
 This one entitled "Baby" was in the exhibition (the baby of my "Mother") loved that one too ....

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhknU_phXqohm03YqAsfFOv9nd99419-2q5ULz3XKYK1NwzMuIMkQJW-8V5Og5up1JaQMU0cdRrWcyvwz8fc0E1DpptMINCmcjNTHewQLlBH5DiVfYsf4yFmI3dW3ypp_C9T6MMZqDIBDA/s1600/portrait_of_you.jpg
and this is another favorite from his site ....


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj68I6aZy4d7MW_wzIAiVwsOMgvjDrMfO13f0gD6XrckMDu594BvKTxp9lWBhYYHeiIydX96aFl_OZ8ZjQbCVLB2kO-mRobN7g2I-TyA9Jne2_APsMBqcf_MVwSU1E12kqFGySS_kUWsQk/s1600/hawkesbury.gif
and this one ....


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiIBc6HC50DqY8th14sio7BT1jjJtWA0aqeuS_KvrYLv34itfUpdeqFMYQiJ4xpYFcDIVqSryxGB8LjDO0bn-RK0ZoX_ueoUAL1DMtGsWYcla-lnLrcRBFLeIDZWVICTWrgAA7kt4MCmBc/s1600/DSC_1252.JPG
... and this is "Kearnsy" with his "Self Portrait" which is also in the exhibition (I was a bit excited about my purchase and didn't check the setting on my camera, hence the dark pic) ....
So if you happen to be in Surry Hills call in and have a look, the show finishes Friday and check out my whale in the corner .... 
I can't wait to bring him home !!!