Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Midnight. September 30

Wait. Shhhh! Listen. Did you hear that? No? There it is again, are you certain you didn’t hear something? Coming from down the road, or ... maybe ... just outside that window? Sort of an lyrical, otherworldly sound ... pleasant, but a bit mysterious. A bird ? Perhaps a raven? Or... maybe... laughter? Black cat .. or bat ... or rat? Maybe. Perhaps you should check behind that door, just in case I’m right. I know I definitely heard something, and don’t try to tell me it was just the wind. Oh wait, I know what it is ... I remember now. It’s October! Oh yes, can’t you see it? Just slipping through the trees and wafting across the stream. Look, there’s color leading the way, with wind and music and firelight right behind her! Oh, I think I saw a witch there in back and yes, there’s that laughter again. I’m certain that was a jack-o-lantern grinning out from behind all those swirling scarlet maple leaves, and I can just make out a thin sickle moon and several pale ghosts somewhere near the end of the line. Yes, yes, and now I smell apples and wood smoke as well! October! Now can you see all those lovely days lined up just outside the window?? Look... I can count thirty-one of them, all heading this way.
Go ahead, open the door. Invite them all in!
October is here.


October's Party

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came-
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

George Cooper