Giving Thanks

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Giving Thanks
On Thursday of this week, we here in the states shall celebrate Thanksgiving Day.  A marvelous tradition, even if sometimes we do have to burrow down beneath football games and feasts, holiday sales and family friction to find its true purpose, sitting unnoticed, waiting for our eventual consideration as it calmly holds out its soul-cleansing magic of gratitude.  Patriarchs will say grace over tables groaning under the weight of sweet potato casseroles and pumpkin pies.  In a truly American touch, gargantuan balloons shaped and dressed like Mickey Mouse and Underdog will float down New York streets and we shall thank the Lord for our food, our families, our freedom, our health.  
It is a day for remembering the big things with thankfulness and perhaps it serves as a reminder to notice the little things as well.  I hope so, for living in the midst of gratitude every day of the year makes for many happy days. There are a myriad of delights for which to be thankful, but they are often disguised as commonplace, so one must learn to look carefully to find them.  
 I think as I write of maple trees and autumn winds.  
The first taste of Christmas fudge.
The way the bottom of Edward’s paw smells just like Fritos.
Shakespeare and Kate Atkinson.
Leonard Cohen and Mary Oliver.
The Philadelphia Story and The Wizard of Oz.
Freshly ironed sheets.
 and, rain.
 Here are just a few more of my special thank you’s for this year.  

The Dog Sitter
Ramona is the person who moves in to stay with Edward and Apple whenever we travel without them.  She feeds them scrambled eggs.  She gives them the fish oil capsules that make their furry coats shine like new money.  She never gets her feelings hurt when Edward pouts - he only does this for a day or so.  Both dogs adore her and she’ll be joining us for dessert on Thanksgiving Day.   
And yes, that is a chimpanzee she’s holding.

**************************************

Weddings
The Songwriter sang at the wedding of a friend this past weekend, and I was reminded once again how much I love those ancient ceremonies.  To see two people stand facing one another, their faces lit by the love that they feel, pledging that love to the world, well... it’s incredibly moving.  
I absolutely love this photo of the recent wedding of David Lauren and Lauren Bush and I just adore that wedding dress. 
 And I may be alone in this, but it's so good to see the elegance of sleeves again.

**************************************

Solitude
I am grateful to be someone who enjoys her own company. 
 I don’t need a crowd to be happy. 
 I'm comfortable alone with my thoughts. 
After all, it is there, in the quiet, when the muses come. 

***************************************

Wilf
There is a multitude of amazing blogs today, blogs that I read as often as I possibly can.  But the one I never, ever miss is written by Angus, a transplanted Scotsman living a delightful life in a French village with his Polish Lowland Sheepdog, Wilf.  Wilf bears a striking resemblance to Edward.  Sometimes the pictures Angus posts cause me to do a double-take.  
The blog was started to chronicle the travels of both Wilf and his twin brother, Digby, but sadly, Digby passed away in 2010 after a sudden illness.  Then several months later, in a quirk of horrible timing, Wilf was diagnosed with cancer and given only three days to live. 
 That was a year and two months ago! 
 Each day since a gift, each month a miracle.

One of the best blog writers I’ve found, Angus takes us through the seemingly ordinary days of a life with an old dog, all the while freely handing us jewels of wisdom about friendship, loyalty, humour and love.  I am so grateful that Wilf has defied the odds with such heart and grace and I wish for both he and Angus a perfectly wonderful festive season.
  If you’ve yet to visit this very special twosome, you are missing a true treat. 
 Go say hello HERE.

****************************************

An Ivy Covered Cottage
The Songwriter and I have an ongoing battle over the English Ivy that grows over our cottage.  
He worries that it will damage the windows and gutters if it gets out of control. 
 I find it unutterably romantic.  
We have reached a ivy truce of sorts. 
 It may clamber over the brick as much as it likes but must be trimmed when it reaches the windows or roofline.  
I can certainly live with that.  I love my ivy-covered cottage. 
But Songwriter beware,  I also love the look of the house above!

***************************************
What about you?
What little thing are you thankful for today?