Heading Out Into A New Year

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Heading Out Into a New Year

They seem much too much of a folly and too prone to fail, so I never make New Years resolutions. If I find myself thinner or richer by the end of the year, I am certainly pleased, to be sure, but it’s way too much pressure to resolve to be either of those things in January. However, I do believe in fresh starts and second chances and when it comes to this blog, I thought perhaps a redesign might be in order, a fresh look for a fresh new year.
But what?

Maybe a new background colour?
But, I sort of like this one.
Let’s see.... a new profile picture?
But that smile of Edward’s! How could I change that?
Perhaps a new direction?
More critique, less whimsy? More reporting, less caprice?
Ummm, I don’t know.

To be honest, the more I considered the idea of a change, the more I rebelled at the thought. I mean, well, this blog is me I suppose, so I’d best stay true to form.
I will hint that there are some opportunities for adventure coming in this fresh new year, some “close your eyes and jump” sort of days. I am trying out some different writing outside of this blog and I’ll keep you all posted on that, I’m sure. I have a whopper of a trip coming in February that I’ll let you all in on soon.
But for now, Edward will continue to scamper through these pages.
Good will and Beauty shall reign.
I plan to keep sharing my favourites, be they books or films, music or shoes.
I shall keep believing at least six impossible things before breakfast, and encouraging you all to do the same.
And I will continue to be grateful, immensely so, for all the sweet people who stop by and say hello each and every day.

It’s difficult for me to believe that I’m still blogging after two and a half years! Who knew the ideas would keep coming? Who knew anyone would read them if they did? Your comments and emails are dear to me. I thank you all so much and it is my wish that each and every one of you wake up to a beautiful new year, full of kindness and love.
May the words of this glorious poem by that natural genius, Mary Oliver, be the good spell that is cast over all the days of this year.

Why I Wake Early

Hello, sun in my face.
Hello, you who made the morning
and spread it over the fields
and into the faces of the tulips
and the nodding morning glories,
and into the windows of, even, the
miserable and the crotchety –
best preacher that ever was,
dear star, that just happens
to be where you are in the universe
to keep us from ever-darkness,
to ease us with warm touching,
to hold us in the great hands of light –
good morning, good morning, good morning.
Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.

Edward and I wish you a wonderful New Year!