Let's Go Christmas Shopping!

Saturday, December 11, 2010


Let's Go Christmas Shopping!

Truth be told, I really don’t particularly care for shopping malls. I much prefer wandering along a village street, preferably on a cold day when the clouds hang grey and low overhead, teasing with snow, and each shop is decorated for the holiday in style all its own.
I want to pull my hood up over my head as I stroll in the icy air.
I want to hear a bell jingle on a cafe door when I stop in for a cup of hot chocolate.
Well, why don’t we all pretend this quirky little blog is a meandering village street lined with quirky little shops all ready for Christmas. I’ve compiled a list of some of my favourite new items for this holiday season.
Just click on the photograph and you’ll be taken straight to the shop.
So make yourself a cup of hot cocoa, and let’s go shopping!

*******************************************


1. Pajamas
The ubiquitous Christmas present, I know. But still.
Pajamas are wonderful - I recently read that Johnny Depp is a fan.
So really, can one get much hipper than that?
These by J. Crew are great, and do get them monogrammed on the pocket!

******************************************



2. Toy Horse
Love, love, love this!!
What child wouldn’t?

******************************************


3. Dog Paintings
Aren’t these fabulous??
I see them hanging on the walls of a kitchen in the country.
Stone floors, herbs on the windowsill, homemade jellies on the counter being wrapped up for presents.
I am crazy about these. And not just because the Black Dog looks exactly like Apple!

**************************************


4. Vintage Lockets
Amazing.
And so many different designs.
It’s hard to choose a favourite.

*****************************************


5. Handmade Gift Decorations
I purchased some of these last season and they were quite the hit.
Tied on packages, cookie bags, or trees.... a treat!

*************************************


6. Wolferman's English Muffins
Trust me.
If you don’t have time to shop and ship, no one will mind if you send them a basket of these.
I speak from experience.
Seeing this package on your front porch is a treat beyond measure!
You’ll want to eat breakfast all day!

**************************************************


7. Teapot
Of course, I love teapots.
And this one is incredible!

********************************************


8. Handmade Cards
I have been making my own Christmas cards for years now and, yes, it’s time consuming. But I love it.
There’s something warm about received a handmade card, no matter who makes it.
Just take a look at this delightful example.
I mean, really, who wouldn’t love to receive this?

*******************************************


9. Food Face Plates
I’d love to do a dinner party with these!
What fun we would have.
At the very least, they are guaranteed to make a finicky kid eat his vegetables.

****************************************


10. The Best Dog Blanket
Whilst Edward chooses to sleep atop my feet on these cold nights, Apple prefers to sleep in the windowseat.
And, as that windowseat cushion is made of Pierre Frey’s glorious Bolchoi Jacquard, I usually cover it with a tartan blanket just for her.
But maybe I should get this one instead.
The best dog blanket I’ve seen!

********************************************


11. Whimsy Boots
With tight black trousers, long black frock coat, white ruffled blouse.
And pearls.
Lot's of pearls.

****************************************************


12. Alice in Wonderland Rabbit
Oh, my soul.
Isn’t this the best?
Entirely handmade, this little fellow is simply enchanting.

****************************************


13. Alphabet Bracelet
For all those of us who love words with a passion.
The perfect bracelet.

**************************************************


14. A Family of Birds
Aren’t these sweet?
Perhaps in a crooked little house by the sea, where the winter winds are howling outside and these happy brave souls are lined up on the windowsill to keep the bad fairies away till the Spring.
Just charming.

*********************************************


15. Christmas Gift Box
Ok, perhaps I’m veering into the dicey waters of self-promotion here.
I don’t swim too well in those, but I really do love these boxes I’ve made for this season.
Most are earmarked for friends, but some are in my etsy shoppe.
This one is a particular favourite, if I do say so myself.

****************************************


16. The Best Gift Ever
When the rescue shelter found Edward, he was sitting in the jail at a county animal control facility, two short days away from being put down. I cannot even bear to think about it. This wonderful shelter grabbed him up, cleaned him up, loved on him, fed him, and allowed him to come live with us just one week before Christmas. Edward was the best gift ever and we will be forever grateful and in their debt.
As one might expect, the downturn in the economy has negative effects on this sort of work. This year, to help offset their considerable operating costs, Edward's shelter has created a calendar featuring some of the dogs and cats adopted throughout this past year. It’s only ten dollars and Edward would love it if you would pick one up for him and all the other shelter dogs so deserving of good homes, especially at Christmastime.

Happy Shopping!!