The Mountains On Monday

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pamela Terry and Edward


Contentment 

 I like the way that the world is made, 
  (Tickle me, please, behind the ears)
With part in the sun and part in the shade
(Tickle me, please, behind the ears), 
This comfortable spot beneath a tree
Was probably planned for you and me;
Why do you suppose God made a flea?
Tickle me more behind the ears.

I hear a cricket or some such bug
(Tickle me, please, behind the ears)
And there is a hole some creature dug
(Tickle me, please, behind the ears)
I can’t quite smell it from where we sit, 
But I think a rabbit would hardly fit;
Tomorrow, perhaps, I’ll look into it:
Tickle me more behind the ears.

A troublesome fly is near my nose,
(Tickle me, please, behind the ears);
He thinks I’ll snap at him, I suppose,
(Tickle me, please, behind the ears).
If I lay on my back with my legs in the air
Would you scratch my stomach, just here and there?
It’s a puppy trick and I don’t much care, 
But tickle me more behind the ears.

Heaven, I guess, is all like this
(Tickle me, please, behind the ears);
It’s my idea of eternal bliss
(Tickle me, please, behind the ears). 
With angel cats for a dog to chase, 
And a very extensive barking space, 
And big bones buried all over the place -
And you, to tickle behind my ears.

by Burges Johnson

******************************

For Edward and me, this old poem seemed the perfect fit for our beautiful day in the mountains on Monday.
 I wonder, what does it mean when a woman’s hair colour exactly matches her dog’s?
And we both got trims on Tuesday.